Lately I have been struggling a lot with low confidence and overwhelming depression. I have spent days… weeks even, trying to ‘see’ anything, anything that I might be good at, and coming up empty. With that, the tears flow, and the depression grows. I have no real gifts. I have no real talents. What is it I am doing here, anyway?
So as I do, I prayed. I prayed that God would reveal to me through my thoughts and writing anything that I might be good at; to answer the question: “What am I good for anyway.”
What follows is what came of that prayer. As I read it, I knew it to be true, for I do know myself – yet it is not a boast. For one of my biggest issues is that I compare myself to others, and always come up short. Other people can, I can’t – hence a lifetime filled with depression and low confidence.
The response: (By the way, I don’t hear these things, I just allow the thoughts to come.)
There are things you are good at though you do not see them. That you don’t make money for these things, and that others don’t acknowledge that these things have value, does not mean they are not worth anything, or that they aren’t gifts from God.
- You are good with dogs.
- You are good with cats.
- You are good with rabbits.
- You have a heart for animals.
- You have a heart for the broken and hurting, stronger than most people have.
- You have a desire to do good.
- You have a desire to bring honour and glory to God.
- You care deeply for your son.
- You feel responsible towards your mother and her circumstances.
- You are quick to forgive.
- You are understanding of the struggles of others to do good.
- You sincerely want other people to turn to God and be saved, even people who hurt you.
- You cry for the lost.
- You cry for the broken.
- You want real peace, and real love in the world – not the fake stuff you see around you.
- You know that you are broken, and are not deceived that you are a ‘good’ person.
- You realize that all that is good in your life comes from God.
- You realize that to have anything in life, it must come from God.
- You desire a relationship with God.
- You want to do something worthwhile with your life for the sake of others more than for yourself, as alone you would be okay where you are.
- Your mind is able to create entire worlds, and fantasies that take you far from the pain that overtakes you.
- When you are interested in something, you will research for hours to understand it better.
- Though you have no talent for these things, you still want to garden, and create, and grow.
These are things that God has given to you. So you write about them, and you dream about them, and you do not get paid to do these things – but that doesn’t mean they aren’t what you are meant to be doing. God provides for you. You are to do what God lays on your heart to do – even if that is ‘just’ to adopt and love your pets. God can use you where you are.